Fw: kernel bug procedures

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Tue Oct 14 22:36:08 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 12:09:58PM +0200, Florian Mickler wrote:
> As I wrote below :)
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 20:30:42 -0500
> From: "Christopher M. Penalver" <christopher.m.penalver at gmail.com>
> To: W-florijn-k <florian at mickler.org>
> Subject: Re: kernel bug procedures
>

> It would be best to contact the Ubuntu Kernel Team directly via IRC or
> Mailing list -> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam#Communications .
>
> Christopher M. Penalver
> E-Mail: christopher.m.penalver at gmail.com
>

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM, W-florijn-k <florian at mickler.org> wrote:
> > hi christopher,
> > i'm new to ubuntu...
> > regarding bug:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1297464?comments=all
> >
> > what is the normal procedure to get this bugs solution into an update?
> >
> > <rant, please ignore> I just spent two evenings getting my mum to
> > describe the symptoms over the phone, search for the bug, find the
> > solution (radeon.dpm=0 on the kernel cmdline) and get her to actually
> > edit the /etc/default/grub file ("now type sudo, yes s  u d o space
> > slash e t c slash, yes no space, slash ..." .  and all for an bug which
> > is known since 2 months and easily fixable but which renders the system
> > unusable instantly </rant>
> >
> > I really appreciate your work, but to avoid annoying more "late
> > updaters", we should get this into the distribution fast. So if this got
> > overlooked or something, please consider this a ping. :-)
> >
> > Best regards and thanks for your work,
> > Florian
> > --
> > This message was sent from Launchpad by
> > W-florijn-k (https://launchpad.net/~w-florijn-k)
> > using the "Contact this user" link on your profile page
> > (https://launchpad.net/~penalvch).
> > For more information see
> > https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople

I have put an update in the bug, but the short version is that the fix
you indicate is already applied and has been since before release.
There are other changes in this area which could be at fault but the
search proposed is likely needed to identify this.  The results of that
need then feeding back to the upstreams.

-apw