Saucy namespace pollution

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Fri May 10 14:39:56 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013 03:58 AM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 05:11:38PM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> Andy - I've been working on some changes to manta and mako to fix
>> some namespace collisions. Since both packages are based on the same
>> kernel the first manta upload failed because the linux-headers
>> package had a lesser version then the package that was already in
>> the archive.
>>
>> Please review ubuntu-saucy master-next and ubuntu-saucy manta for
>> changes that I've added to distinguish the Nexus kernels package
>> names with their platform name. I think there is likely more to be
>> done, but I've run out of time for today.
>
> The installer team has asked us to keep the binary and header package
> names of a consistent for regardless of which source package they
> originate in as this simplifies their work and allows us to move
> flavours between source packages without affecting them:

> As flavour names are already required to be unique and non-overlapping,
> the only package which can collide is the independant headers package;
> and indeed it was this that failed during the upload.  For all the other
> packages (linux-ppc, linux-lowlatency etc) we have fixed that by changing
> just the prefix for that from linux-headers- to SRCPKGNAME-headers-,
> we are allowed to change that as it is only referenced from the binary
> packages we produce.
>
> I have put together a minimal fix for manta for this and am testing it
> now.  I will advertise some alternative branches once that is done.
>
> -apw

Well, I see that my compulsion to be fully orthogonal has caused me more
work then necessary. I think your approach makes more sense because its
simpler, and not because it makes things easier for the installer. Why
doesn't the installer use the appropriate kernel meta package ?

I'd sure like to see these changes on the master branch first, then
synced to the various Nexus kernel debian generic rules.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com