Proposed 12.04.3 + 13.04 HWE Stack Policies and Procedures

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 20 22:28:57 UTC 2013

Hi Leann,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:52:27PM -0700, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> Given the recent decision from the Tech Board to reduce the support
> duration for non-LTS releases from 18mo to 9mo [1], I've written up what
> I'd like to propose as the 13.04 HWE stack policies and procedures for
> the the next 12.04.3 LTS point release.  Could I ask for a review and
> feedback to ensure this matches what others had in mind?  I'd ideally
> like to come to an agreement before 13.04 releases.

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack#Proposed_12.04.3_.2B-_13.04_Hardware_Enablement_Stack_Policies_and_Procedures

  For the 12.04.3 CDs, we will default to the new Raring HWE stack. Due to
  size limitations we are unable to provide options for both the Raring HWE
  stack and the original Precise stack.

One of the points that came out of the vUDS session was that OEMs (at least
Dell and System76) did not expect to take up the new HWE stack in 12.04.3.
Has this topic been explored with other Canonical partners?  If there's not
demand for this HWE stack, does it make sense to omit the raring HWE
backport altogether, and focusing effort on the quantal and s HWE stacks?

Otherwise, this proposal looks good to me.