Fwd: Re: Fwd: Precise highbank config review

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Thu May 31 15:29:29 UTC 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Fwd: highbank config review
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 10:17:29 -0500
From: Rob Herring <rob.herring at calxeda.com>
To: Brian Fromme <brian.fromme at canonical.com>, ike.pan at canonical.com
CC: Larry Wikelius <larry.wikelius at calxeda.com>,  Tim Gardner
<tim.gardner at canonical.com>, vanhoof at canonical.com

Brian, Ike,

I've done a comparison diffing amd64-generic and highbank configs in
current precise git tree. There are quite a few differences that need to
be addressed. Basically it needs to be close to a standard x86 server
config for features. Some highlights:

- enable cgroups (needed by containers (or will be?))
- TREE_RCU vs PREEMPT_RCU
- enable sysctl
- CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY vs. CONFIG_PREEMPT
- Enable THUMB2 Kernel (any remaining blockers to this?)
- Enable KEXEC (need to test)
- Enable CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME
- enable lots of networking options like bridging
- enable all ipmi options and ipmi needs to be modules. ipmi init
scripts don't work with it built-in. Perhaps a udev issue.
- enable iSCSI
- FATFS is not needed and can be module
- enable debug options (BUGVERBOSE, ftrace)
- enable crypto modules

Rob