namespace attach (setns) patches

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Mon May 28 13:28:28 UTC 2012

Quoting Bryan Wu (bryan.wu at canonical.com):
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Serge Hallyn
> <serge.hallyn at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In addition to the user namespace patchset (the first part of which
> > is now in linux-next)
>
> Right, I saw Eric's patches were pulled by Linus during this merge
> window. IIRC, it's from here:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ebiederm/user-namespace.git;a=shortlog
> Totally 46 patches.
>
> > we'd also like the remaining setns patches
> > to be considered for the quantal kernel.
>
> Where is these remaining setns patches?

The links below are all I have.

The core of the functionality isn't going to change.  The only thing
changing is that he's fixing more old bugs in the set.

> > There are two namespaces
> > (beside user) which are not yet exported through /proc/self/ns/ ,
> > mnt and pid.  The mnt attach patchset has been recently sent and
> > acked, but the online linux-kernel archives seem to all be missing
> > it.  The ack is here:
> >
> > http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-fsdevel/msg55150.html
> >

> Nice, do you know where are these patches hosted? any git tree for pulling?

The git tree link below is the most recent he has posted.

> > For the pid namespace, an older version of the patchset is here:
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ebiederm/linux-namespace-control-devel.git;a=summary
> >
> > But Eric is trying to fix some long-standing pidns bugs in the same
> > set, so doesn't have a new set ready.
> >

> Exactly, these pid namespace patches look like quite old now. Probably
> we should wait for Eric's new set.
>
> > I'm just sending these links (at apw's request at UDS) so you can
> > gauge the complexity.
> >
> > I can explictly forward the mntns patches if you like (and don't
> > mind the noise).
> >

> If there is no git, please forward. Thanks.
>
> Serge, my plan to setup lxc as test environment for our further
> kernel, which should include Eric's or others' user namespace patches.
> I tried your lxctest on my OMAP4 Panda board. I think some testing
> failed, please find my log here: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1006351/
>
> I really appreciate you can help to take a look at this.

I realize I should automate this at setup, but at the top of the
lxctest.py file is the comment:

# Prerequisites:
# sudo apt-get -y install lxc libvirt-bin make gcc

The first failure for instance shows you don't have make :)

-serge