namespace attach (setns) patches

Bryan Wu bryan.wu at canonical.com
Fri May 25 15:09:57 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Serge Hallyn
<serge.hallyn at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In addition to the user namespace patchset (the first part of which
> is now in linux-next)

Right, I saw Eric's patches were pulled by Linus during this merge
window. IIRC, it's from here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ebiederm/user-namespace.git;a=shortlog
Totally 46 patches.

> we'd also like the remaining setns patches
> to be considered for the quantal kernel.

Where is these remaining setns patches?

> There are two namespaces
> (beside user) which are not yet exported through /proc/self/ns/ ,
> mnt and pid.  The mnt attach patchset has been recently sent and
> acked, but the online linux-kernel archives seem to all be missing
> it.  The ack is here:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-fsdevel/msg55150.html

Nice, do you know where are these patches hosted? any git tree for pulling?

> For the pid namespace, an older version of the patchset is here:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ebiederm/linux-namespace-control-devel.git;a=summary
>
> But Eric is trying to fix some long-standing pidns bugs in the same
> set, so doesn't have a new set ready.

Exactly, these pid namespace patches look like quite old now. Probably
we should wait for Eric's new set.

> I'm just sending these links (at apw's request at UDS) so you can
> gauge the complexity.
>
> I can explictly forward the mntns patches if you like (and don't
> mind the noise).

If there is no git, please forward. Thanks.

Serge, my plan to setup lxc as test environment for our further
kernel, which should include Eric's or others' user namespace patches.
I tried your lxctest on my OMAP4 Panda board. I think some testing
failed, please find my log here: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1006351/

I really appreciate you can help to take a look at this.

Thanks a lot,
--
Bryan Wu <bryan.wu at canonical.com>
Kernel Developer    +86.186-168-78255 Mobile