[Kernel] Release Meeting 2012-02-24

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Thu Feb 23 22:14:43 UTC 2012

Overall status is reported at the first link below.  Burn down for
Precise Beta-1 is at the second link below.  Burndown for the cycle is
at the third link:

 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/ReleaseStatus/Precise
 * http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-precise/canonical-kernel-distro-team-ubuntu-12.04-beta-1.html
 * http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-precise/canonical-kernel-distro-team.html

== What was done engineering wise? ==

Prior to Beta Freeze, we uploaded the linux-3.2.0-17.26 Ubuntu kernel.
This kernel most notably contains a rebase to the v3.2.7 upstream stable
kernel, RC6p (deep RC6) disabled for Sandy Bridge and plain RC6 enabled
by default, NumaChip support, an extensive set of Hyper-V patches to
update storage, network, and mouse drivers, and an updated Yama patch
set to better align us with what's landing upstream.  We do not intend
any further upload until after Beta-1.

We are slightly above our Beta-1 trend line but the remaining work items
are not release critical.

== What's about to land that might impact the other teams? ==

As already noted, one of the changes recently to the Ubuntu kernel was
an upstream patch to disable RC6p (deep RC6) for Sandy Bridge and then
enable plain RC6 by default on Sandy Bridge.  We issued a widespread
call for testing regarding this issue [1].  We would appreciate any
testing feedback [2].  We ideally want to get any of the outstanding
issues ironed out prior to release so that we can keep RC6 enabled by
default and our ends users can benefit from the increased power savings.

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-February/034782.html
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/PowerManagementRC6

=== Release Notes ===

== Summary of bugs working on by team (reasonably reliable) ==

Aside from the immediate bugs/issues we resolved this week, we're also
keeping an eye on the following bugs:

 * Bug:818830 - [Sandy Bridge] serious power regression from kernel 3.0.0-6 to 3.0.0-7 (rc6 disabled)
 * Bug:855124 - XRANDR operations very slow unless (phantom) HDMI1 disabled
 * Bug:836250 - Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 poor networking
 * Bug:898127 - system hangs and errors at /build/buildd/linux-3.2.0/arch/x86/kernel/apic/ipi.c:113 default_send_IPI_mask_logical+0xdc/0xf0()
 * Bug:904297 - System crashed with latest updates
 * Bug:898112 - Xen performance issue: backport acpi-cpufreq.v4 branch to 3.2 kernel for Precise
 * Bug:912992 - [snb-m-gt2+] Primary laptop display not working, external monitor works fine
 * Bug:922460 - BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000004
 * Bug:937378 - Patched kernel with rc6 enabled shutdowns
 * Bug:935965 - RC6 enabled causes severe graphics corruption

== Dependencies on other teams, blocking items ==
None.

== Issues? ==
None.