Debugging Sound Problems

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Mar 3 12:44:49 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-02 22:24, Brian Murray wrote:
> I used the apport audio symptom for the first time in quite a while and
> I have to say is really awesome!

Thanks! :-) Although the Natty version hasn't received much
attention/testing yet and so there might be a bug or two lurking around
in that code.

> Having said that I'm a bit confused as
> the bug I reported[1] was filed with an alsa-driver task yet the
> debugging sound problems wiki page[2] says:
>
> In general, no-sound/low-sound/headphone-no-sound/no auto-mute/etc. bugs
> should be:
>
>      1) Filed against the linux source package.
>      2) Add the kernel-sound tag
>
> My bug falls into the headphone-no-sound category (I'm pretty sure) and
> it seems to me that this should be detectable by the symptom.  So is the
> wiki page incorrect or does the audio apport symptom need some tweaking?

Well, technically it should be filed under Linux, but, apport doesn't
support auto-subscribing the ubuntu-audio-team to the bug, so therefore
we decided to keep them under alsa-driver for the time being so we audio
triagers could get notifications about them automatically.

> [1] http://launchpad.net/bugs/728304

It's http://launchpad.net/bugs/728034. (Yeah, done the same mistake
myself a number of times...)

--