ACK: Oneiric SRU (pre-stable): Fix Line out -> Speaker automute for Realtek

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Fri Dec 2 19:01:47 UTC 2011

On 12/02/2011 01:38 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 12/01/2011 03:13 PM, Tim Gardner wrote:

>>> Have you also tried this laptop with Precise to make sure the
>>> "refactored automute for Realtek" still works ?
>
> No.
>
>> _And_ have you tested this patch for regressions on other platforms with
>> Realtek codecs ?
>
> ...and no.
>
> Could you clarify whether or not this is a requirement for taking the
> patch?
>
> Anyway, I'm cc:ing Anthony here as I don't have physical access to the
> hardware. Anthony, if you feel it's worth the effort of doing such
> testing to make this machine get certified faster (instead of waiting
> for this patch to come through upstream stable), could you organise such
> testing? There is a dkms package for easy testing in the bug.

The prime objective of the SRU policy is to cause no regression(s). Your
patch could potentially affect every platform with a Realtek codec that
has (board_config == ALC880_AUTO). So, yes, I think you should test on
some other laptops with Realtek codecs.

I'm not as concerned about automute working in Precise, that was merely
idle curiosity. However, if it doesn't work then you should likely take
steps now to prevent regressions when folks upgrade from Oneiric to Precise.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com