[Oneiric, Natty, Maverick, Lucid SRU] Link libbfd statically

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue Aug 2 17:42:51 UTC 2011

On 02.08.2011 16:58, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 02.08.2011 16:29, Tim Gardner wrote:

>>> It being set in my chroot and not on the builders (and it does not seem to get
>>> by something in the kernel build before testing it. So it looks to me like "if
>>> something globally defines it, I can use liberty alone" otherwise the makefile
>>> goes into various tests to use libbfd, libbfd+liberrty or libbfd+liberty+libz.
>>> And I am not feeling to well by setting an env variable without really
>>> understanding what that actually means.
>>>

>> It seems pretty clear to me by looking at tools/perf/util/symbol.h that if you
>> define HAVE_CPLUS_DEMANGLE, then the ultimate call to demangle a symbol is
>> cplus_demangle which is clearly provided by libiberty.a:
>>
>> nm /usr/lib/libiberty.a | grep cplus_demangle
>>
> So if that is the case, why does compiling on the builders result in a different
> outcome compared to chroot compile (both have the dependencies)
> Also changing the Makefile to set HAVE_CPLUS_DEMANGLE again is a change to the
> Makefile.
> I would like to understand why and if it is possible to avoid that modification
> to generic code, I think that is better to maintain. Ok, you probably can set it
> in the call in rules.d...
>
>> Why are you not Cc'ing kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com on your responses ?
>>
> Because you did not Cc it in your mail which I was answering... :) Ok, I could
> have added the cc again. But was not sure whether you intentionally wrote only
> directly.

Doh! I finally understand what is going on... Basically the change of

-		FLAGS_BFD=$(ALL_CFLAGS) $(ALL_LDFLAGS) $(EXTLIBS) -lbfd
+		LIBBFD := $(shell $(CC) -print-file-name=libbfd.a)
+		FLAGS_BFD=$(ALL_CFLAGS) $(ALL_LDFLAGS) $(EXTLIBS) $(LIBBFD)

completely breaks the compile tests, after. So we start the section without the
define, then fail all the checks for have_bfd, have_... and end up in the "do we
have at least iberty?" which succeeds.
But that is unlikely the thing we want (to use bfd but statically linked). So
sorry for the noise, but the patches submitted are wrong as well.

-Stefan