[Oneiric, Natty, Maverick, Lucid SRU] Link libbfd statically

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue Aug 2 14:58:18 UTC 2011

On 02.08.2011 16:29, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 08/02/2011 07:53 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:

>>> I guess I don't see what the issue is. The linux package already build-depends
>>> on binutils-dev which is the provider of libiberty.a. Why _doesn't_ setting
>>> HAVE_CPLUS_DEMANGLE fix the problem ?
>>>
>>> rtg
>>
>> It being set in my chroot and not on the builders (and it does not seem to get
>> by something in the kernel build before testing it. So it looks to me like "if
>> something globally defines it, I can use liberty alone" otherwise the makefile
>> goes into various tests to use libbfd, libbfd+liberrty or libbfd+liberty+libz.
>> And I am not feeling to well by setting an env variable without really
>> understanding what that actually means.
>>

> It seems pretty clear to me by looking at tools/perf/util/symbol.h that if you
> define HAVE_CPLUS_DEMANGLE, then the ultimate call to demangle a symbol is
> cplus_demangle which is clearly provided by libiberty.a:
>
> nm /usr/lib/libiberty.a | grep cplus_demangle

So if that is the case, why does compiling on the builders result in a different
outcome compared to chroot compile (both have the dependencies)
Also changing the Makefile to set HAVE_CPLUS_DEMANGLE again is a change to the
Makefile.
I would like to understand why and if it is possible to avoid that modification
to generic code, I think that is better to maintain. Ok, you probably can set it
in the call in rules.d...

> Why are you not Cc'ing kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com on your responses ?

Because you did not Cc it in your mail which I was answering... :) Ok, I could
have added the cc again. But was not sure whether you intentionally wrote only
directly.