Cross compile rules update

Jan, Sebastien s-jan at ti.com
Mon Oct 4 15:51:44 UTC 2010

The reason for (native) DKMS modules build failure using a cross-compiled
kernel is that the kernel build tools embedded in the kernel package (like
fixdep) are not built for ARM but for the host (x86 in my case), and fail
when called by native module building.

Any idea if / how this could be solved?

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com>wrote:

> Dunno. Right now I'm not really caring about DKMS packages, but I'm also
> not purposely trying to exclude them. I'm primarily searching for a way
> to allow kernel developers who do a lot of package builds to effectively
> simulate the native ARM build without actually having to use a QEMU
> emulated solution. If the binaries actually work, then thats just a
> bonus. The official archive released packages will continue to be built
> on native ARM build daemons.
>
> rtg
>
> On 09/30/2010 03:12 PM, Dechesne, Nicolas wrote:
> > Tim,
> >
> > if you installed a cross compiled kernel (let's ARM kernel), do you
> > expect dkms installed modules to built fine *natively*? I recall seeing
> > problems when building kernel modules when mixing cross and native
> > compilation.
> >
> > nicolas
> >
> >> Andy - have a look at the attached rules changes. This should allow for
> >> much faster ARM compiles and packaging using the Maverick arm cross
> >> compiler toolchain in universe. I've installed gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi by
> >> default in all of our Maverick x86'en schroots on the kernel team build
> >> machines.
> >>
> >> This patch is against Maverick tip, but should likely be applied to the
> >> generic debian tree.
> >>
> >> rtg
> >

> --
> Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com

Texas Instruments France SA, 821 Avenue Jack Kilby, 06270 Villeneuve Loubet.
036 420 040 R.C.S Antibes. Capital de EUR 753.920