Upcoming Kernel - MultiTouchScreen Support

Stéphane Chatty chatty at enac.fr
Thu Mar 4 11:05:09 UTC 2010

Le 4 mars 10 à 11:12, Luis R. Rodriguez a écrit :

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Stéphane Chatty <chatty at enac.fr>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in order to have the driver up and running, two modifications are
>> necessary
>> in the hid subsystem:
>>
>>  1. the one described below, in hid.h. This is required for a
>> whole bunch of
>> multitouch devices but obviously it has to be done only once.
>
> Why is this required, what's the change do?

The IS_INPUT_APPLICATION macro decides whether a HID device should be
connected to the input subsystem or not, considering that some uses
of HID are for things that are not real user input devices. The macro
lists all 'legitimate' cases of user input devices. Its current
version ignores most digitizers, including multitouch panels. The
patch aims at having them considered as legitimate user input
devices, so that they are not ignored by the input subsystem.

>>  2. the addition of the device's (VendorID, ProductID) couple to a
>> black
>> list in the hid subsystem's core, so that the new driver can
>> manage it. This
>> involves changes in hid-ids.h and hid-core.c, for every new driver.
>
> If the non upstream drivers are sucked into staging I'm not sure how
> this could be handled. Staging drivers have kconfig entries so perhaps
> those can be used to add new entries to hid, not sure if that would be
> acceptable upstream.

Er, I'm not expert enough in kernel inclusion processes to answer
this one. I add Jiri Kosina to this reply, hoping he can help.

>> If hid is compiled as a module, this is fairly straightfowrad. If,
>> as in
>> Ubuntu, it is statically compiled in the kernel, it means that one
>> needs to
>> recompile the kernel each time they add a new multitouch driver.
>>
>> I was hoping that at least the first patch would be taken into
>> account for
>> 2.6.33 so as to save work for a lot of people, but it looks like
>> the patch
>> came too late in the process.
>
> Are familiar with the drivers? How's the quality of the drivers, I
> haven't gotten a chance to review yet, were they developed with
> upstream in mind or are they they your typical vendor driver?

I wrote these drivers, so they must be perfect of course :-) More
seriously, they were developed with upstream in mind and have been
widely tested already. Previous similar multitouch drivers of mine
are already included since 2.6.32.

St.