Upcoming Kernel - MultiTouchScreen Support

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 10:12:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:56 AM, Stéphane Chatty <chatty at enac.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in order to have the driver up and running, two modifications are necessary
> in the hid subsystem:
>
>  1. the one described below, in hid.h. This is required for a whole bunch of
> multitouch devices but obviously it has to be done only once.

Why is this required, what's the change do?

>  2. the addition of the device's (VendorID, ProductID) couple to a black
> list in the hid subsystem's core, so that the new driver can manage it. This
> involves changes in hid-ids.h and hid-core.c, for every new driver.

If the non upstream drivers are sucked into staging I'm not sure how
this could be handled. Staging drivers have kconfig entries so perhaps
those can be used to add new entries to hid, not sure if that would be
acceptable upstream.

> If hid is compiled as a module, this is fairly straightfowrad. If, as in
> Ubuntu, it is statically compiled in the kernel, it means that one needs to
> recompile the kernel each time they add a new multitouch driver.
>
> I was hoping that at least the first patch would be taken into account for
> 2.6.33 so as to save work for a lot of people, but it looks like the patch
> came too late in the process.

Are familiar with the drivers? How's the quality of the drivers, I
haven't gotten a chance to review yet, were they developed with
upstream in mind or are they they your typical vendor driver?

  Luis