mainline kernel build: aufs missing

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Sat Jun 19 14:05:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 14:57 +0200, Christoph Thielecke wrote:
> Hello Tim,
>
> > > I try the mainline kernel from kernel-ppa
> > > (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.34-lucid/) and the
> > > aufs module is missing (which is in default ubuntu lucid kernel and
> > > needed by me, see also
> > > http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=aufs.ko&mode
> > >=exactfilename&suite=lucid&arch=any).
> > >
> > > Could you add that module?
> >
> > aufs is not part of the mainline kernel.
> Right but its in ubuntu kernel. Is there a way to get a package for the
> mainline kernel which includes the aufs module or to include the module in
> the package?
>
> Or is there another kernel package archive which never kernels for ubuntu? I
> really need the 2.6.34 instead of 2.6.32.

First, this is completely unsupported so if you have any issues you'll
have to figure them out yourself.

Now that that's out of the way, if you really want an Ubuntu-like kernel
based on 2.6.34, the best thing would be to grab the latest 2.6.34
Maverick kernel released a few weeks ago:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+source/linux

However, that was just a stepping stone towards our Maverick release
based on 2.6.35. There will be no further 2.6.34 kernels released by our
team. It also includes all our in-development patches for Maverick. Some
may be broken or expose security risks. Again, there is no explicit
support for using these kernels!

-- Chase