Patch to disable NCQ for some SSD drives

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Wed Jan 27 13:42:49 UTC 2010

Vishal Rao wrote:
> 2010/1/26 Ben Hutchings <ben at decadent.org.uk>:
>> You should send the patch to the ATA maintainer,
>
> Thanks, patch sent with an initial (not so encouraging) response
> from Alan Cox:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/1/26/185
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/1/26/202
>
> Should the patch be rejected, might Ubuntu incorporate it (in
> essence) for the benefit of users who shouldn't be dismayed at
> their new SSDs' breakage the way I was? :-)
>
> Would be nice to have for the quality of LTS Lucid I would think...
>
> In any case, the workaround is to pass " libata.force=noncq "
> as part of the kernel boot options which I think is already
> mentioned in LP: #502219 .

The responses I saw there rather sounded like the patch just cures a symptom for
you. Others seem to have working cases with NCQ. It might be something generic
but yet not understood or related to the controller instead of the drive.
So blacklisting the drive is not the solution. There seem to be people willing
to help with debugging further but only can do that when they got help with the
actual data (iow from you ;-)).
All in all it did just not sound as this is ready for general consumption.

-Stefan