[ubuntu-x] Nouveau - remaining tasks.

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Tue Feb 23 18:32:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 01:38:37PM +1100, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:
> 3) Work out how to handle nouveau-firmware
>
> 3 - For GeForce 8 and later hardware, nouveau requires the
> ctxprog/ctxval firmware-like voodoo to provide any acceleration.  This
> hardware also requires a swizzled framebuffer and doesn't provide a
> non-swizzled view to the CPU, which means that CPU fallbacks are slow.
> Currently, the nouveau-firmware package is in multiverse and so can't be
> pulled in to the default install.  Bryce was going to talk to some of
> his nvidia contacts - did anything come of that?

In talking with apw and sconklin we decided since upstream is already
making good progress at a clean solution for this, that we'll look to
that as our path forward.

apw, sconklin, post-a3 can you look at backporting upstream's solution
for this?  (RAOF if you're interested in looking at this too - would
love to hear your findings.)  If we can't get that in before say beta-2,
we should probably take a closer look at getting nouveau-firmware better
integrated.

> If we can't get nouveau-firmware in the default install, we should
> probably get Jockey to suggest it post-install instead.

Good idea.  Don't let me forget to check this in a couple weeks.

Bryce