Urgent pleeease help! stuck!

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Thu Feb 18 13:16:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 06:08:23PM +0530, Praseen Preman wrote:

> The issue I was facing was that, my nVidia drivers and
> creative sound card drivers failed to work at first for the 2.6.24
> version kernel and soon for the shipped 2.6.24-26 kernel too it failed
> to work. Following this X windows too ceased to work properly for both
> the kernels.
>
> What  isthe best way to solve and avoid such a scenario.
> I have a hunch that the since both the compiled 2.6.24 kernel and the
> shipped 2.6.24-26 kernel used the same file system when they load ,the
> 2.6.24 kernel corrupted the udev configuration when it loaded and this
> corrupted udev created problems for the 2.6.24-26 kernel when it loaded
> too. Please let me know the right approach to such a scenario and how
> to solve it.

There is no udev configuration included in the kernel package so that
sounds unlikely as a cause.  Where did your manually installed kernel
install to?  If it wrote over the stock one you may be able to recover
by apt-get --reinstall linux-image-2.6.24-26.

> Does creating seperate ext3 filesystems for the multiple versions of the
> kernel
> help solve this issue? What is the suggested system configuration for
> kernel/ driver developers.

I routinly install multiple testing kernels without issues on my
systems, so you shouldn't need to make separate directories for this.

-apw