Lucid Meta pull request, add support for compat-wireless-2.6.35

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Thu Aug 12 07:42:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 03:48:08PM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> The compat-wireless package names have changed, so lucid -meta must
> be updated to reflect that. Also added support for tracking
> compat-wireless-2.6.35 using
> linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.35-lucid-FLAVOUR. Its a bit
> non-orthogonal to the existing
> linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-FLAVOUR (which tracks
> compat-wireless-2.6.34), but I guess the folks that choose a 2.6.35
> wireless backport will have to mostly know what they are doing.

Is this something we are only doing in the LTS or should we be moving
Maverick over to a -2.6.35 (or whatever) version now before people
get used to the original name and continuing this form going forward?

The result of your two commits look ok to me we end up with two
meta-packages which conflict.  I read up (again) on Conflict: and it does
seem appropriate in this case.  It also seems appropriate to make it hard
to switch between these two by not including a Replaces: as you may lose
your working wireless.

Looking at the commits themselves, the first commit looks to be incorrect.
For generic it correctly changes the dependancy to match the new naming:

  -Depends: ${misc:Depends}, linux-backports-modules-wireless-${kernel-abi-version}-generic
  +Depends: ${misc:Depends}, linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-${kernel-abi-version}-generic

For the remainder of the flavours it incorrectly changes the package
name instead:

  -Package: linux-backports-modules-wireless-RELEASE_NAME-generic-pae
  +Package: linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-RELEASE_NAME-generic-pae

Note that this then gets corrected in as part of the second patch.
It would nice to sort this out for history sake.

Otherwise looking right to me.

-apw