Lucid Meta pull request, add support for compat-wireless-2.6.35

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Thu Aug 12 07:49:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 08:42:52AM +0100, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 03:48:08PM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> > The compat-wireless package names have changed, so lucid -meta must
> > be updated to reflect that. Also added support for tracking
> > compat-wireless-2.6.35 using
> > linux-backports-modules-wireless-2.6.35-lucid-FLAVOUR. Its a bit
> > non-orthogonal to the existing
> > linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-FLAVOUR (which tracks
> > compat-wireless-2.6.34), but I guess the folks that choose a 2.6.35
> > wireless backport will have to mostly know what they are doing.
>
> Is this something we are only doing in the LTS or should we be moving
> Maverick over to a -2.6.35 (or whatever) version now before people
> get used to the original name and continuing this form going forward?
>
> The result of your two commits look ok to me we end up with two
> meta-packages which conflict.  I read up (again) on Conflict: and it does
> seem appropriate in this case.  It also seems appropriate to make it hard
> to switch between these two by not including a Replaces: as you may lose
> your working wireless.
>
> Looking at the commits themselves, the first commit looks to be incorrect.
> For generic it correctly changes the dependancy to match the new naming:
>
>   -Depends: ${misc:Depends}, linux-backports-modules-wireless-${kernel-abi-version}-generic
>   +Depends: ${misc:Depends}, linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-${kernel-abi-version}-generic
>
> For the remainder of the flavours it incorrectly changes the package
> name instead:
>
>   -Package: linux-backports-modules-wireless-RELEASE_NAME-generic-pae
>   +Package: linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-RELEASE_NAME-generic-pae
>
> Note that this then gets corrected in as part of the second patch.
> It would nice to sort this out for history sake.
>
> Otherwise looking right to me.

Actually just reviewing the main LBM change and the package there is
recommending a linkage to a meta packages as below:

 You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install
 the linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.34-generic meta-package, which will ensure
 that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.

and:

 You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install
 the linux-backports-modules-compat-wireless-2.6.35-generic meta-package, which will ensure
 that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.

Note that the numbered versioned packages in the do not contain the
-compat- part should they?  Also currently there is only a -2.6.35-
version in meta.  I suspect that we should also add a second numbered
meta-package with 2.6.34 in its name for consistancy going forward.

-apw