Need to load broadcom kernel module before loading tg3 driver

Jerone Young jerone.young at canonical.com
Tue Sep 1 21:54:19 UTC 2009

Hey guys,
	Had a chat with Matt Carlson at Broadcom, who works on the tg3 driver.
Recently we have had a lot of issues with Broadcom ethernet controllers
working with the upstream tg3 driver, such as the BCM 57780.

	Matt lead me to the fact that since the driver uses phylib, you must
first load "broadcom" kernel module before actually loading the tg3
driver for the card to get a phy (ex. eth0). He said currently it's not
a seemless experience with the upstream driver.

	Need to figure out how to get the broadcom module to load before the
tg3. Not sure how to do this exactly though. Since the two are not
linked. You guys have ideas?

				Thanks,
					Jerone