Ubuntu kernel labeling scheme confuses the hell out of me.

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 05:03:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 02 March 2009 10:10:01 pm Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> > It makes no sense to me to encode the stable update version in the
>> > package version because there are often other unrelated bug fixes
>> > bundled into the upload.
>>
>> I don't think I follow, like what?
>>
>> > What about those times when a kernel package is
>> > uploaded without any stable upstream updates?
>>
>> Not sure I follow either.
>
> Ubuntu's kernel team does some in-house patching, ex cherry-picking from other
> upstream kernel releases or writing patches and applying them here before
> upstream accepts them.  Those can certainly be uploaded to the archive in the
> absence of a new upstream stable release.

I see. Not sure I understand still, I mean a linux-next Ubuntu package
(should one exist) would not carry the Ubuntu sauce, no? I fail to see
the issue yet I think.

Also as kernel releases go by and there being a conscious effort to
try to groom the "Ubuntu sauce" every kernel release so that Ubuntu
has to carry less and less cherry picked patches I would see this
becoming less of an issue, no?

  Luis