Karmic i386 flavour changes

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Tue Jun 16 23:27:22 UTC 2009

Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 02:05:35PM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> The next upload will be an ABI bump to 2.6.30-10.11
>>
>> Pursuant to the Karmic flavours Blueprint
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kernel-karmic-flavours
>> I've implemented the flavour changes.
>>
>> However, I have some questions about upgrading as well as CPU feature
>> detection.
>>
>> 1) Is the installer intelligent enough to detect the relevant CPU
>> features necessary to support PAE, and therefore install the correct
>> kernel version ? (Or at least complain that PAE is not supported).
>
> Not yet, but it's easy to make it so, especially if somebody tells me
> the thing I need to look for in /proc/cpuinfo. Is it just "pae"?

yes - I believe matching on 'pae' is sufficient.

> The trickier issue is that in order for this to be a useful choice, we
> now need to cram two kernels onto our CDs, otherwise either (a) non-PAE
> users are just screwed or (b) PAE users don't get any advantage unless
> they install via netboot or a DVD. Has this been discussed? I don't see
> a record of it in the specification.

If space is limited, then I think it's enough to carry just the PAE
kernel on the Live and Alternate CDs (but refuse to install or upgrade a
non-PAE capable CPU). I believe the use cases for non-PAE capable CPUs
are few, e.g., Geode and VIA C3 type CPUs in embedded or headless
motherboards. It should be enough to provide a netboot or DVD install
solution in that case.

> BTW,
> http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-kernel-list@redhat.com/msg01682.html
> is what I was referring to obliquely at UDS. Maybe somebody should poke
> Kyle and find out if he has the patch set to hand.

In an earlier thread in that conversation Kyle essentially echoes my
opinion wherein he wonders how many non-PAE use cases there are. I'm not
very interested in carrying a patchset to runtime detect and implement
the second level of page tables necessary to dynamically support PAE. I
know that most of the code is already there protected by ifdef's, but in
my opinion the number of use cases simply doesn't warrant the effort.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com