Karmic i386 flavour changes

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 16 22:14:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 02:05:35PM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> The next upload will be an ABI bump to 2.6.30-10.11
>
> Pursuant to the Karmic flavours Blueprint
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kernel-karmic-flavours
> I've implemented the flavour changes.
>
> However, I have some questions about upgrading as well as CPU feature
> detection.
>
> 1) Is the installer intelligent enough to detect the relevant CPU
> features necessary to support PAE, and therefore install the correct
> kernel version ? (Or at least complain that PAE is not supported).

Not yet, but it's easy to make it so, especially if somebody tells me
the thing I need to look for in /proc/cpuinfo. Is it just "pae"?

The trickier issue is that in order for this to be a useful choice, we
now need to cram two kernels onto our CDs, otherwise either (a) non-PAE
users are just screwed or (b) PAE users don't get any advantage unless
they install via netboot or a DVD. Has this been discussed? I don't see
a record of it in the specification.

BTW,
http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-kernel-list@redhat.com/msg01682.html
is what I was referring to obliquely at UDS. Maybe somebody should poke
Kyle and find out if he has the patch set to hand.