Review of Arjan's "fast boot" patches for 2.6.28

Scott James Remnant scott at canonical.com
Tue Feb 10 12:47:30 UTC 2009

I merged Arjan's fast boot patches from
ssh://master.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arjan/linux-2.6-async.git into the Jaunty kernel tree and rebuilt.

The effect was that my root filesystem failed to mount unless I boot
without "quiet".

At a rough stabbing guess, it finishes the kernel init when the PCI
probe completes without waiting for the SCSI probe or something -- so if
the kernel boots particularly fast, it won't have found your root disk.

So, ironically, these patches make an initramfs necessary (I wasn't
using one).

He may have fixed this in the 2.6.29 patch set, I'll test that for
karmic.

We should probably ask him about this on Friday anyway.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at canonical.com