[RFC] X Display Failures in Suspend and Resume

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Nov 11 01:25:24 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 01:47:48PM -0800, Jim Lieb wrote:
> Pete asked me to look into the suspend/resume failures and report back on what
> is going on to cause X to fail on some notebook/laptop machines.  The attached
> pdf is a relatively final draft of the report including a proposal for fixing
> the problem.

Are you sure this diagnosis is correct? The resume from hibernation case
is made rather more "interesting" due to usplash also being involved,
but the suspend to RAM case is no more inherently racy than the normal
VT switching case. Not having video on resume from RAM will generally be
down to the kernel failing to restore graphical state, something it can
currently only do for Intel hardware[1]. The userspace workarounds for
reinitialising the graphics are certainly not guaranteed to work
reliably.

[1] Though there are still a few bugs there, which can result in failure
even on hardware that /should/ be working
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org