Rebuilding the xen image

Klett, Stefan stefan.klett at iwr.fzk.de
Fri Apr 25 07:53:44 UTC 2008

Hi List Subscribers,

I'm writing you because I have been assigned to the task of building a
minimal monolithic xen kernel supporting dom0 and domU . After some days
of trying I have got a monolithic domU image running ontop of the the
precompiled linux-image-2.6.24-12 that came with the ubuntu hardy beta.

My problem starts with the dom0 - I got the source package of the image
and tried to recompile it with the new configuration. Sadly the
resulting image does not run as dom0. (The kernel doesn't boot - the
boot stops after the hypervisor tries to hand over control to it -dying
with "relinquishing vga console".) By skimming the patch and reading
some postings on the ubuntu mailing lists I came to the assumption ,that
the dom0 patch is not actually applied on the the source. I re-fetched
the source packet and applied the diff part manually - but this did not
change anything.

My question to you is now how I could properly rebuild the xen-image
with a custom .config. Though I've some years experience with other
flavours of linux distros I'm relatively new to ubuntu - so that I might
have missed something -  could you please tell me how this is done
correctly ?

Many thanks in advance for your help and your time
Best regards
Stefan

Stefan Klett (Dipl. Informatiker)  | E-mail: stefan.klett at kit.edu
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe / KIT  | Web: http://www.fzk.de
SCC Steinbuch Centre for Computing| Phone:  +49 (0)7247 828649
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1      | Fax:    +49 (0)7247 824972
D-76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen   | Mobile: +49 (0)176 20317250