iwl4965 panic -- tracking it down

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Dec 23 22:51:03 UTC 2007

G'day.

My Lenovo T61p, running x64 Hardy, has an Intel wireless card in it:

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or
AGN Network Connection (rev 61)

Linux krosp 2.6.24-2-generic #1 SMP Thu Dec 20 17:58:55 GMT 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This loads and seems to run with the iwl4965 driver, but it will panic
the kernel unpredictably if the radio is enabled and NetworkManager is
running.

The machine doesn't have a serial port, nor any other easy to attach
output, and when I triggered the message on a console I didn't get much
usable information -- and couldn't scroll back due to the kernel panic.

I can't locate anything useful on the 'net, or in Launchpad, that
suggests a possible cause or even a possible debugging strategy.

So, what is the best way for me to help diagnose and report this
effectively?  I am happy to set up 'LKCD' or equivalent, if that will
help, with some pointers in the right sort of direction.

I have done kernel driver development before, but not for years, and
traditionally always had a serial port available.

Er, and I presume that I can't use a USB serial adapter to catch the
panic output -- but if I am wrong, please correct me.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Daniel Pittman <daniel at cybersource.com.au>           Phone: 03 9428 6922