nova-cloud-controller not installing nova-network

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Thu May 1 13:27:52 UTC 2014

On 01/05/14 13:13, Quentin Hartman wrote:
>> nova-compute should be if one of the nova network options is used
>> in the nova-cloud-controller charm.  I'll run this option through
>> our lab again today to make sure that it is.
>
> Thanks again for the additional info. I'd love to hear what your
> results are and appreciate you looking into it. Is there anything
> that need be done to specify that other than using the flatmanager
> or flatdhcpmanager options?

I ran a nova-network topology test - nova-network and nova-api
services get enabled on the nova-compute nodes as spec for multi-host
mode.

Looking at our config we just set - FlatDHCPManager for
network-manager option in the nova-cloud-controller charm.

>> Note that pushing multiple charms onto the same service units
>> without LXC container use is not support other than for the
>> following charms - which need to not be in LXC containers:
>>
>> nova-compute ceph/ceph-osd swift-storage
>>
>> This allows you to maximise storage/compute usage in deployments
>> - but it won't fit everyones requirements.
>
> That is the solution I hit on as well, and so will be exploring lxc
> when I return to this project next week. For my purposes having
> Maas, juju, and the control services for open stack on separate
> boxes is wasteful. My deployment isn't large enough to need that
> much hardware in the control layer.

We run an internal test cloud on 6 nodes; 5 compute/ceph/swift nodes
and 1 control node with everything else in LXC containers.  Juju
controls the creation of the lxc containers:

   juju deploy cinder --to lxc:0

Deploys the cinder charm to a lxc container on physical machine 0 (yes
- - that is the bootstrap node :-)).

We also push the quantum-gateway charm onto the bootstrap node without
LXC for north/south network connectivity for instances.

>> Nick, who also wrote the MAAS and Juju documentation, has been
>> working on a OpenStack + Juju + MAAS guide this cycle - its in
>> final review and hopefully should be out in the next couple of
>> weeks.
>
> Is there a way I can help with and or review the wip? I'm hoping to
> have this deployment in service in a couple weeks and I'm sure the
> information in the guide would be quite valuable to me, even if
> it's not yet perfect.

Not sure - I'll let Nick answer this question.

- --
James Page
Ubuntu and Debian Developer
james.page at ubuntu.com