Testing juju+go -- which cloud provider to use

Peter M. Petrakis peter.petrakis at canonical.com
Mon Mar 25 15:17:15 UTC 2013

On 03/24/2013 06:53 PM, Zygmunt Krynicki wrote:

> W dniu nie, mar 24, 2013 o 11:43 ,nadawca Gustavo Niemeyer
> <gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com> napisał:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Zygmunt Krynicki
>> <zygmunt.krynicki at canonical.com> wrote:
>>> I'd like to test the go rewrite of juju. Is there any preference
>>> of cloud providers to use? So far I've only used lxc and
>>> openstack providers.
>>>
>> EC2 was the first to be implemented, so it's likely the most stable
>> at this point. That said, there's a lot of activity on the
>> openstack backend right now as well.
>>

> Which public clouds are using openstack? I'm aware of the HP cloud
> and it seems to be cheaper than amazon at 40% off (see
> https://www.hpcloud.com/pricing).

Let's put the costs in perspective, last time I checked (a month ago)
these are EC2's cost.

Consider a utilization of a 40 hour work week with 5 machines
running with the following node mix/cost

Instance  Ratio   Cost
t1.micro   %60    Free under 750hrs
m1.small   %30    0.065/hr
m1.medium  %10    0.130/hr

total hours: 40, so t1.micro = 0

(5 * .6 x 0) + (5 * .3 * 0.065) + (5 * .1 * .130) = [$$$/hour at 5nodes] = .162/hr

.162 * 8 [hours] * 5 [days] = $6.50

I recommend keeping the bootstrap node a small or medium and using micro
everywhere else. If you're looking for performance then pay for it.
As long as you don't leave it running all weekend e.g. 48hrs doing nothing,
it's pretty cost effective.