charm icons

Mark Mims mark.mims at canonical.com
Thu Mar 14 16:53:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:30:13AM -0300, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Abel Deuring
> <abel.deuring at canonical.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > the Orange squad is working on improvements of the charm store: better
> > search, integrations of the GUI etc.
> >
> > One thing we need but don't have yet are icons for the charms. We think
> > it would be best to store the icon at a fixed location in the charm
> > itself, for example as data/charm-icon.svg. We would prefer to stick to
> > the SVG format to ensure good rendering at different sizes.
> >
> > Does this make sense?
>
> Sounds sane. I'd just recommend calling it icon.svg instead (no data/).
agree with toplevel icon.svg... no data/

Are there other requirements beyond just svg?  I.e., we need: an easy
way to review them for acceptance into the set of "official" charms.

Will we need to watermark them in review or something to denote
officialness or will that be done via overlay in the browser(s)?

Not that I'm a big believer in policing stuff, but there's no review of
any kind for the majority of charms displayed by the store.. the
non-official ones.  Anyone sticking any icon.svg into branches that
simply follow a certain naming convention in launchpad will currently be
picked up and displayed by the store.  Don't know if that'll be a
problem or not... probably not given the ubuntu code of conduct, but
it's at least worth noting.