[PROPOSAL] lock juju down to using charms from LTS and latest release only

Robbie Williamson robbie.williamson at canonical.com
Wed Mar 13 21:01:10 UTC 2013

On 03/13/2013 02:47 PM, James Troup wrote:
> Robbie Williamson <robbie at ubuntu.com> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure we need to support two LTSes come 14.10, but then that
>> means existing deployments with 12.04 are forced to upgrade to the
>> next LTS to get continued free updates and support for their charms.
>> I think from a coding and complexity perspective, simply saying latest
>> LTS plus current release is best.  Plus, for the 14.04 LTS release we
>> would keep
>> 12.04 supported for 6 months until 14.10, allowing time for updates.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> A 'latest LTS plus current release' policy effectively limits LTSes to
> 2½ years for Juju users.  I think this would be very unfortunate.
>
> (Full disclaimer, it's obviously very easy for me to vote for more free
>  money (so to speak), as I'm not responsible for the support burden that
>  would result from a 'all current LTSes plus current release' policy.)

I think you make a valid and reasonable point, and tbh I was the least
sure about this part anyway.  I also don't think it's THAT much more
effort.  Perhaps we put some constraints in place, i.e. the charms for
supported LTS releases are supported, but not necessarily updated with
new features that the most recent LTS might get....or something like that.

--
Robbie Williamson <robbie.williamson at canonical.com>
Vice President, Cloud Development and Operations

"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
 -16 Blocks by Richard Wenk