Juju GUI supports Juju Core

Gary Poster gary.poster at canonical.com
Fri Apr 26 00:39:43 UTC 2013

Happy Raring day (still in some timezones)!

The GUI team is happy to announce that this week's 0.4.0 release
supports the new juju-core release.

After installing Juju Core (https://juju.ubuntu.com/get-started/),
assuming your default environment's default-series is precise, simply
run these commands:

juju bootstrap
juju deploy juju-gui
juju expose juju-gui

Finally, you need to identify the GUI's URL. It can take a few minutes
for the GUI to start; this command will let you see when it is ready to
go, by giving you regular status updates:

watch juju status

Eventually, at the end of the status you will see something that looks
like this:

services:
  juju-gui:
    charm: cs:precise/juju-gui-46
    exposed: true
    relations: {}
    units:
      juju-gui/0:
        agent-state: started
        agent-version: 1.10.0
        machine: "1"
        public-address: ec2-www-xxx-yyy-zzz.compute-1.amazonaws.com

That tells me I can go to the public-address in my browser via HTTPS
(https://ec2-www-xxx-yyy-zzz.compute-1.amazonaws.com/ in this example),
and start configuring the rest of Juju with the GUI. You should see a
similar web address. Enter the address into a modern Chromium/Chrome or
Firefox.  Accessing the GUI via HTTP will redirect to using HTTPS.

By default, the deployment uses self-signed certificates. The browser
will ask you to accept a security exception once.

You will see a login form with the username fixed to "user-admin". The
password is the same as your Juju environment's admin-secret, found in
~/.juju/environments.yaml.

Enjoy!  More bug fixes and features are on their way to the GUI soon.

Thanks from the GUI team to the Juju Core team for their assistance,
especially to Roger Peppe for his patience, guidance and support; and to
Mark Ramm for helping us to bring the GUI and Juju Core teams together
to build this.

Gary