new metadata for charms for the charm store updates

Richard Harding rick.harding at canonical.com
Tue Apr 9 00:27:08 UTC 2013

I talked with Jorge and he asked me to email the list. We're working on the
Juju store updates for the Gui and for the updates we need charms to have
an icon.svg file in the charm. This is used for display in the store as you
browse.

We've also added support for the idea of a single category for each charm.
To help with charms that don't have icons, we would like to default each
charm to an icon we provide for the category the charm is 'in'. The
category is to be defined in the metadata.yaml. The category is also used
to help group charms and aid in browsing.

The six categories we have been given are:

Databases
File Server
Applications
Cache/Proxy
App Servers
Miscellaneous

What I wanted to see is how we can best get charms updated with at least a
category defined so that we can have an array of our default icons for each
category in display. How much of this should be part of the proofing of
charms? Is there a good way to mass update charms in any way?

To start with we're moving forward by setting any charm without a category
as a Misc charm. We just don't want to launch with a page full of the same
Misc icon over and over.

--

Rick Harding

Cloud Engineering