Machine id option to deploy

Mark Ramm mark.ramm-christensen at canonical.com
Mon Apr 8 21:44:57 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 03:09 PM, roger peppe wrote:
> I feel that deploy-to is possibly a first step towards placement, which
> I think can be seen as largely orthogonal to constraints,
> although naturally they will interact, and we will need to decide
> how they should do so.
Yea, and I think the fundamental issue here is that we don't yet have
placement and co-location fully figured out.

I doubt they are truly orthogonal (there seems like there would have to
be *some* interaction) but I think your intuition that they are separate
concerns seems reasonable, and is definitely something to explore.

But we need to do something to support existing open stack deployments,
as well as the needs of Canonical IS (using Juju+MaaS to deploy
postgres).  And we need to do it in order to get the great work that
we've put into the GO port into usable form for them ASAP (ideally by
the 13.04 release which is just a couple of weeks away!!!).

Whatever we end up doing we need to make sure that we can do the "right
thing" in the future when we fully understand what that is. And we need
to do "something" now to support people who are actually trying to use
Juju to get real work done in production environments.

And that's the real issue here:

  * Will this lead us down a bad path from which it will be difficult to
    recover?
  * Will we be painting --force-machine users into a corner?

My guess based on the discussions I have seen (and I fully admit I
haven't been around long enough to remember when this came up for the
first time) is that this is a compromise that will turn out OK.

We get something a bit rough around the edges that serves users now, and
still give ourselves lots of room to create a "proper" solution when we
implement containerization and real placement logic.

--Mark Ramm