Juju lxc/python3 issue on raring

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 8 15:46:53 UTC 2013

On Apr 08, 2013, at 11:36 AM, Stéphane Graber wrote:

>I agree with Barry that we ultimately want -Es to be set automatically
>though I actually like being able to override PYTHONPATH when testing
>the lxc python scripts, so for this specific bug, I'd much rather the
>JuJu folks fix the actual bug than have me workaround it in LXC.

Ideally, developers would put this in their "in development" scripts:

#!/usr/bin/env python

(or python3 as the case may be)

and the installation process, e.g. setuptools or most likely dh_python{2,3}
would rewrite those to

#!/usr/bin/python -Es

IOW, for *most* cases, you want the development version of scripts to be
flexible as Stephane describes, but the system installed versions to be locked
down.  There are a few cases where some folks want the installed version to be
more flexible, but in those cases, you can always execute them with an
explicit Python call passing the script in as an argument.

Cheers,
-Barry