Juju - Staying "unsupported" for precise

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 13 00:48:43 UTC 2012

Hello juju'ers and charmers!

With the clock ticking on Ubuntu 12.04, we've had to come to grips with
the reality of change vs. stability. Juju has come a long way since
the tech preview we shipped in 11.10. The florence milestone, which
encompasses most of the work we've done during this cycle, includes 100
"bugs" fixed on Launchpad:

https://launchpad.net/juju/+milestone/florence

Over 120 individual branches and trivial fixes were merged in these 6
months. Thousands of lines of code and many hours of testing by users.

The intrepid Juju core dev team has landed enhancements to Orchestra,
security fixes for SSL, constraints, reboot support, subordinate charms,
and a host of enhancements to make life better for juju users and charm
authors alike.

However, when we put juju under the microscope that Ubuntu must apply
to projects that we support, some glaring problems still exist. We have
some real security issues to deal with, and The documentation is not up
to date (though it is getting better, thanks Jorge and co!) or complete.

The code quality is high, and the actual bugs in the code itself are
quite low, which is something quite impressive given the complexity of
managing a distributed system the way juju does. Kudos to the dev team
for putting in place strong test requirements and quality guidelines from
the get go.  I just ran some test coverage reports, and we have over 96%
test coverage for juju. We run these tests every time the package is
built for 11.10 and 12.04, and for every commit to trunk as part of the
"WaTerFall" tests at http://wtf.labix.org/

But, alas, the lack of security for the ZooKeeper connections is just
too concerning for the security team. While this is fixable, there just
wasn't time to do it without even more disruption of the already in flight
features that were promised for 12.04. Indeed, we figured this out over
a week ago, but we've all been so busy wrapping up all the other pieces
of 12.04 and juju, that we didn't have time to get the word out.

So, we've withdrawn juju from consideration for "main" in 12.04. We'll
continue to push new versions to 12.04 users via PPA's and perhaps
via backports.

Thanks everyone for climbing on board the juju train to Florence. Next
stop: Galapagos!