update to the browser QA tab and reasoning behind suggested change

Richard Harding rick.harding at canonical.com
Fri Jun 7 17:42:42 UTC 2013

I've submitted a branch that makes the QA tab in the browser to be a bit
more intelligent. It verifies that the charm you're viewing does have QA
data before showing the list of checks. If the charm does not, it shows one
of two messages.

If the charm is reviewed, but it still does not have QA data, it shows the
following:

http://uistage.jujucharms.com/sidebar/precise/ceph-9/:flags:/browser_enabled/

(click on the QA tab until we can complete adding support for urls that
link directly to a tab.)

If the charm is not reviewed, then it will never have QA data. That is
something input by the charm reviewers as part of their process. The
message is updated to explain that to the user.

http://uistage.jujucharms.com/sidebar/~daisy-pluckers/precise/groundskeeper-0/:flags:/browser_enabled/

I'm against hiding the tab entirely for a couple of reasons. First, it
provides an inconsistent UI. The tab changes, but the user does not
know/realize this since it's not really explained any where. Secondly, once
the data is loaded, nearly all charms in popular and interesting charm
groups should have QA data. The one place that we present to the user, by
default, that will not is the grouping for new charms.

I admit, that currently no charm has QA data. I think that telling users it
will be added shortly is good and a few users asking in #juju about QA data
might help encourage ~charmers to add them in.

If we hide the tab now, it'll be a forgotten feature of the project and
will take more effort to remind others that it's meant to be there and is
still incomplete.

Please let me know what you think. If you have suggestions for wording
adjustments I'd be happy to discuss and apply them.

Thanks for looking!

--

Rick Harding

Cloud Engineering