Feature Request: show running relations in 'juju status'

Jorge Niedbalski jorge.niedbalski at canonical.com
Wed Nov 19 00:23:36 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 3:19 AM, Kapil Thangavelu
<kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com> wrote:

> status per future impl helps, as does explicitly marking units.. but pending
> cluster count is a missing and important property to properly establish
> quorum in a peer rel from one to n that is only resolved by knowing recorded
> units count for a svc.
>
> cheers,
>
> Kapil

I strongly agree with Kapil on the importance of have a cluster count
for determining quorum in peer relations, also
for leader election. We have experienced problems determining cluster
quorum on different official charms
( i.e. mongodb, openstack charms ).

There are a plenty amount of hacks for 'solving this' , getting the
first deployed peer unit as the master based on the unit id,
choosing a random one, or like the case of 'hacluster' charm ( which
is the base for all our HA charms )
by using a prefixed parameter ( cluster_count ).

The desired fix would be to have the number of how many peer relations
the unit has globally , no matter of the state ( started, stop,
building , etc)

With that we can solve most of the initial quorum issues.

--
Jorge Niedbalski R.
Software Sustaining Engineer