eod status 8-jan-2013

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Tue Feb 5 16:19:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Kapil Thangavelu
<kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com> wrote:
>> +1, plus adding a warn to cases matching (1) saying it is obsolete and
>> should be avoided, and after a large enough grace period that we don't
>> have to worry about right now, deprecating it with proper handling and
>> reporting of errors.
>

> The issue with deprecation warnings is that it hits users not nesc the
> authors who can fix it.

That's what the "large enough grace period" mentioned above handles.
If uploads are blocked, then a large enough grace period is given,
then it is fully obsoleted, it won't hit users.

> I think it would be odd for example to for someone
> deploying an gui in the charm to get hit by a deprecation warning. ie.
> Imagine if apps on your phone warned you about deprecated api usage by the
> app author.

Nothing analogous to that was suggested.

This is a relevant bug for the reasons described in the quoted
message, and we should fix it. There's no reason to bother end users
deploying charms with it.

> We can audit the charm universe and file bugs against the charms exhibiting
> this problem. We can also classify them as a lint warning in the charm
> browser.

Sounds good.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net