EC2 ap-southeast-2 status failures

Tim Penhey tim.penhey at canonical.com
Mon Apr 22 04:27:56 UTC 2013

Hi all,

tl;dr: it's not our fault

More debugging... don't we all love debugging live environments.

What I've found is that the query that is used to connect even to the
bootstrap node is failing.  AWS is just not responding correctly.  It
seems that in order to get any form of technical support you need a
support contract with Amazon.

The request is this one (with get params formatted nicely):

https://ec2.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/?
Action=DescribeInstances
AWSAccessKeyId=[redacted]
Filter.1.Name=group-name
Filter.1.Value.1=juju-amazon-ap
Filter.2.Name=instance-id
Filter.2.Value.1=i-697eb454
Filter.3.Name=instance-state-name
Filter.3.Value.1=pending
Filter.3.Value.2=running
Timestamp=2013-04-22T03%3A14%3A46Z
SignatureMethod=HmacSHA256
SignatureVersion=2
Signature=[redacted]
Version=2011-12-15

And the response is something like this:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Transfer-Encoding: chunked