[Edubuntu] For shared (project team) folder, ACLs change group of moved-in files?

John Hupp edubuntu at prpcompany.com
Thu Jan 24 01:00:51 UTC 2013

On 1/23/2013 5:23 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> On 1/23/2013 1:35 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos wrote:
>> Στις 23/01/2013 08:21 μμ, ο/η John Hupp έγραψε:
>>> Can someone say more about this?
>> For Greek schools, we've decided to use bindfs for this:
>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/bindfs
>>
>> Example call:
>> bindfs -u 1000 --create-for-user=1000 -g 1003 --create-for-group=1003 -p
>> 770,af-x --chown-deny --chgrp-deny --chmod-deny /home/Shared/a1
>> /home/Shared/a1
>>
>> We even made GUI utilities for managing shared folders based on the
>> teachers/students group, but it's currently only in Greek:
>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ts.sch.gr/sch-scripts/trunk/view/head:/sch-scripts/shared_folders.py
>>

>> It's really a shame that they haven't put support for this in all *nix
>> filesystems though.
>
> Thanks, Alkis.  This looks like "the greatest thing since sliced bread."
>
> After having a first look at the dazzling completeness of the manpage,
> I found this page of cropped instructions for a simple application
> like the one I envision:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bindfs-SharedDirectoryLocalUsers. I
> hope that it will be an easier place for me to get startedwith this.
>
> But it says that due to a bug in mountall, for Ubuntu 9.10 and up the
> fstab method of starting this at boot time does not work, but instead
> prescribes an upstart method.  Do you know if the upstart method is
> still required?

The project's home page at https://code.google.com/p/bindfs/ notes "All
FUSE filesystems necessarily incur a performance penalty in CPU time and
memory consumption. While bindfs is very flexible, it can be quite slow
as Guy Paddock's analysis and benchmark demonstrates. If all you need is
read-only support then mount --bind -r is more efficient."

So with the experience in the Greek schools, can more be said about
performance?