A small LTSP network setup

Matt Johnson johnsonmlw at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 11:18:34 UTC 2012

>________________________________

      10-15 workstations for a local charity. I am coming from the
      windows terminal services / Citrix world and i am very familiar
      with that side of things and my Linux experience is average at
      best.

>In terms of hardware, i think we are going for donated/cheap used
      fat clients and have the local apps option for LibreOffice,
      Firefox etc to ease the load on the server. I am also thinking of
      having an NFS share for the /home partition on a separate grey
      box(if that further helps ease the load of the server and makes it
      run better).

>As for the server, there are good deals going on where i am for
      small office servers such as the HP Proliant ML110 G7 with Intel Xeon E3-1220 / 3.1 GHz(quad core) and 8 GB of DDR3 1333 mhz RAM(upgradable to 16) and 7200 rpm HD disc with dual Gigabit NICs. Would something like this be suitable for powering the 10-15 workstations or will that be pushing it?

I think you'll find that server hardware handles your demands well. It all becomes particularly scalable when you introduce local apps as you plan. We use a similarly spec'd server to server a suite of 32 machines (actually, the server serves 64 machines to 250 users, but seldom are more than 40 workstations on at once).

I really don't think you'll need or want ldap. Desktop user management tools that come with the setup really will be easy to use and scale without a problem.

We're just experimenting with fat clients with 12.04. So far, so good.

Welcome aboard.

--
Matt