Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 23 22:53:51 UTC 2011

On 23 October 2011 16:44, Mike Biancaniello <mikebianc at aol.com> wrote:
> I've noticed a transition lately to optimisations for  smaller screens and
> making more out of limited real estate and for tablets and phone and such,
> it's wonderful and quite innovative.  However, for those of us who still use
> an actual monitor, it's annoying at best.  From not being able to scroll my
> firefox by clicking the bottom of the scrollbar to the entire unity
> interface, it is not optimised in the least for anyone with a screen larger
> than 10".

The scrollbars will be improved in Ubuntu 12.04. For a preview, see
http://vimeo.com/30096481
Technically, Firefox doesn't use the new overlay scrollbars. The
scrollbars did improve in 11.10 and they are pretty easy to remove
(just uninstall liboverlay-scrollbar* ).

Multi-monitor support should be getting some work in 12.04 which is
obviously not a tablet optimization. Unity and GNOME Shell definitely
work on average screens, not just small ones (I don't have a large
screen nor a Ubuntu-capable touchscreen at home). And there's
definitely value in having the same UI for tablet users and desktop
users. Neither Unity nor GNOME Shell fully support a touch interface
yet but GNOME Shell is closer.

On 23 October 2011 18:15, David Groos <djgroos at gmail.com> wrote:
> XFCE has the advantage of being really light weight, Right? That is a great advantage.  What would be lost by moving away from GNOME?  Wouldn't we loose the use of some current Edubuntu software?  In other words, what's the full range of pros/cons?

Shipping xubuntu-desktop by default in no way impacts whether you can
use GNOME or KDE educational apps. I've not used XFCE recently but
it's not as full featured as a GNOME Fallback desktop (which will be
even more usable next release when indicators are ported to it).

Jeremy Bicha