Re: Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

Mike Biancaniello mikebianc at aol.com
Mon Oct 24 00:03:13 UTC 2011

I didn't mean that things didn't work in one or the other, just that the optimisations seem to be geared toward the smaller screens where the traditional desktop is lacking and the new (scrollbars, unity-type stuff, borderless windows, menu in the top panel, etc) desktop makes for a much better experience overall.  I'm pretty impressed with the innovations I'm seeing w/r/t screen real estate.

My point is only that I hope (like some of the other posters) that the trend does not end up moving away from having a classic desktop (with an actual applications menu where you don't have to type to find a new app and other panels where you can put frequently used stuff, etc, etc) as an option.  I was surprised in 11.04 where my hw did not support unity (and apparently my laptop lost access to the VGA so I couldn't even dock it anymore -- but that's a separate issue) and ubuntu classic was not an option and I had to install it separately.

One thing I have noticed, though, with edubuntu is that if I have a PC that can't support Unity, that same PC is able to PXE boot the ltsp edubuntu image and get the unity desktop no problem.  So that was a really nice surprise. (so yeah, even though I'm not 100% onboard with Unity yet, I still enjoy using it and trying to like it because it's new and cool).From: Jeremy Bicha <jbicha at ubuntu.com>