How to speed up the Edubuntu thinclient and how to create multiple user on the Edubuntu server

Nigel Barker tech at hiroshima-is.ac.jp
Sun Nov 13 12:04:07 UTC 2011

On 12 November 2011 22:22, Jeff Brown <jeff at wildcoast.com> wrote:
> On 12 Nov 2011, at 10:11 AM, jigmet mingur wrote:

> I know Tux-'x' is responsible for that, mostly, and is so slow it's unusable
> with more than 2 people using it at a time). But do give compression a try.
> I think it makes a noticeable improvement for browsing and general work.
> (Aside: does anyone know of a decent touch-typing program that isn't as
> bandwidth intensive as Tux?)

We use ktouch. It is very plain and simple,  but kids enjoy it.

I think tuxpaint performs better when launched from within Gcompris. I
haven't tested it it, but I have the impression that several thin
clients can launch it more or less simultaneously without all the
waiting that you get when using it directly from the menu.

(I uninstalled the other tux programs. Just not worth all the frustration)

cheers

nigel