Localapps fails for one user with dbus socket errors

Nick Fenger nick at trilliumcharterschool.org
Tue Sep 14 18:07:02 BST 2010

Hello,

I'm running localapps successfully but I am now running to a problem for a
single user.

While logged in as the problem user, I can run ltsp-localapps xterm to get a
local terminal but when starting a local gnome-terminal I get:

forestflower at ltsp21:~$ gnome-terminal
Failed to get the session bus: Failed to connect to socket
/tmp/dbus-PHwBnU8C1F:
 Connection Refused
Falling back to non-factory mode.
Failed to summon the GConf demon; exiting.  Failed to contact configuration
server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking
for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to
get connection to session: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-b74YR8Mjk6:
Connection refused)

Interestingly, neither /tmp/dbus-PHwBnU8C1F or /tmp/dbus-b74YR8Mjk6 exist.

I removed all of the hidden files from the user's profile (including .dbus
.gconf* ,etc... and this did not resolve the issue. I also removed all
temporary files for this user form the server's /tmp and this did not
resolve the issue either.

Thanks,

-Nick

--