Help! 10.04 LTSP becomes very slow to load and operate.

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 19:12:53 BST 2010

Jim,

Sounds very familiar to what I was experiencing ... check via top if
dbus is using 100% of cpu in which case this could be the issue I saw
with nofile defaulting 1024. (ps -u messagebus for the PID, then cat
/proc/PID/limits to see what the current limits are)  .. the load
averages were low but the system was almost non-responsive.

Also, if you are nfs mounting home directories, check the settings for
wsize and rsize.  I've found that 8192 works well with Ubuntu but my
prior setting of 32768 caused all kinds of random issues due to slow
file access.

I also found that with older hardware (specifically older Compaq
systems and systems with less than 128Mb memory) I could get one
misbehaving client which would slow everything down tremendously.

There was also an issue with flash and needed to set a couple of flags
for plugin-container:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin-container_and_out-of-process_plugins
... I just made the changes directly in firefox.js as that was most
expedient.

And ... I found that I also needed to delete a lot of the old config
files for users when I migrated from K12LTSP based on RHEL4 to Ubuntu.

Just my guesses ...

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins