nautilus brower icon missing?

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Thu Feb 25 16:03:48 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 07:54:30AM -0600, Scott Balneaves wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 08:22:17AM -0500, David Hopkins wrote:
> > If has been brought to my attention that on none of the students using the
> > new server (Edubuntu 9.10, LTSP5) have a Nautilus browser icon on their
> > desktops anymore.  I have no idea why it would disappear.  Students that
> > have not logged onto the new server still have the icon (e.g. those still on
> > the servers using CentOS/LTSP4.2). So, how do I get the icon added back to
> > the Desktop for all users?
>
> Well, really, you don't need it since Ubuntu has the "Places" menu.
> Places->Home Folder, etc.

However, if you DID want to, you could set some mandatory gconf keys:

sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source \
   xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory \
   --type boolean \
   --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop true

sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source \
   xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory \
   --type boolean \
   --set /apps/nautilus/desktop/home_icon_visible true

The next time the user logs in, they should have them on the desktop.

Make sure the user's gconfd dies.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | The human race has one really effective weapon,
Systems Department | and that is laughter.