Edubuntu and Public Health Content

Jack ODonnell jodonnell at worldcomputerexchange.org
Mon Aug 9 17:37:06 BST 2010

I'm a volunteer and Co-ordinator of the Chicago Chapter of the World
Computer Exchange (http://www.worldcomputerexchange.org ) .  We are a
503c whose primary mission is to collected used working computers,
refurbish them and send them to partners in developing countries who
have identified schools, youth centers, orphanages or libraries where
they are made available to children.

Since April of 2009 our refurbishing has included installing Ubuntu.  We
are now reviewing the benefits of switching to Edubuntu.  It seems like
a natural fit for our mission.

We are also seeking ways to incorporate useful resources on public
health issues for our audience in developing countries. We would package
these resources as part of our installation.  Any suggestions?

Jack ODonnell
Chicago Coordinator
Regional Manager for Latin America
773 316 2944

World Computer Exchange
www.WorldComputerExchange.org Expand young minds, not landfills!
* Connecting 2,500 schools, libraries & orphanages in developing
countries to the Internet via reused donated equipment.
* 700 volunteers building capacity in 500 partner groups in 67 countries
in planning, fund raising, content & partnerships.
* Sending teams of volunteer tech professionals on their vacation time
to train & help upgrade and troubleshoot networks.
* Promoting responsible recycling of electronic waste in developing
countries.
www.WorldComputerExchange.org is a global educational & environmental
nonprofit that provides services and computers to help connect more
youth in developing countries to the resources, opportunities and
understanding of the Internet ~ while keeping working computers out of
landfills.
Our 700 volunteers provide our 450 Partner organisations in 65
developing countries with assistance in sustainable project planning,
partnership development, fund raising, shipping logistics, technology
support, digital libraries and responsible e-waste disposal ~ as well as
over 26,000 donated working used computers that have helped connect
2,500 schools, libraries, orphanages and youth centres that report use
by over a million youth per year.